What Is Broken China Jewelry?

 


What is broken china jewelry? 

Broken china jewelry is basically just what it sounds like: it's jewelry made from old broken bits of china.

Sometimes called shards, these bits and pieces of old china have beautiful patterns in all sorts of different designs and in endless color combinations. 

Throughout this blog I'll share some of my very favorite china patterns, and show you some of the china jewelry that I create from those patterns. 

All of the jewelry shown on this blog is made by me. But more about that later. Let's talk more about china dinnerware patterns first. 

There are many different types of china dinnerware such as porcelain, pottery, and ironstone. Each of these types of dinnerware are made with different materials and they come from all over the world. 

Many types of china dinnerware are famous and collectible because of where they were made, such as Limoges France or transferware from England. 

From the most delicate to bold, china patterns can vastly differ, though most that you find are probably made in a floral design, and many with roses. These beautiful patterns are sometimes hand-painted and some china patterns become very collectible for one reason or another. 

But what happens when you break a beautiful, special plate? Do you pick up the pieces and throw them in the trash? Do you try to glue it back together? 

I've always been enamored with vintage items and beautiful china patterns. What a shame, to just throw the broken pieces into the trash, I thought. So then I decided to transform these wayward shards into beautiful, one of a kind personal keepsakes.

It's been well over twenty years since I made my first piece of broken china jewelry, and I have worked with hundreds of china patterns. I'm excited to share some of my favorites with you, so be sure to stop back with a hot cup of tea to see what's next.

~Laura




All jewelry shown was handmade by me and is available for sale in my Etsy shop, so be sure to stop by and see my newest creations.  
- Laura Beth Love

If you love vintage things, and repurposing and upcycling old items into unique, new creations, and creative gardening, then you will love my upcycling blog, Dishfunctional Designs blog


Article and images copyright © Laura Beth Love 2021

Comments