A Peek Into The Past: An Early 1930's Recipe Book


Antique and vintage cook books are one of my passions. Passing by any used book sale I always peruse the vintage book section and once in a while I get lucky and come across a vintage gem. 

In good condition or poor, if it strikes my fancy it's coming home with me. The book I'm sharing with you today gives us a peek into 1920's to 1930's cooking, but what makes it interesting is that it isn't just a recipe book, but it also has parts dedicated to those homes who have servants!

So yes, you can say it is outdated for sure! 



This book is The Art Of Cooking And Serving by Sara Field Splint and this copy is from around 1933.


Take a look at the table of contents and notice both the similarities and differences compared to one of today's cookbooks. What do you notice?


I just love the above photo for the bowl. I have one exactly like it and I'm looking at it right now as it sits atop an old honey colored wardrobe in my family room! It's a beige colored pottery mixing bowl with a brown stripe. Maybe you've seen one like it too. 


Here is a sample of a recipe page. 


This page shows a correctly dressed maid with well-fitting uniforms, and states that for afternoon tea and dinner, a darker uniform is preferred. I see the stockings and shoes have changed. Hmmm.


One of the most interesting parts of this book is the section in the back of the book that has example menus for daily meals and also for special occasions - with examples for with and without a maid!




There are very few color photos, which I'm guessing would have been an expensive addition to the publisher. 

The above photo shows Currant Spice Cake and below it, Snickerdoodles. I have to say, the Snickerdoodles that I am familiar with today look very different!



The cover is falling off and a few of the pages are loose but never mind that. This vintage book goes right back on the bookshelf with my other vintage cookbooks and is a treasured part of my vintage cookbook collection!

Be sure to stop back and see the next antique cookbook I have to share with you! 

~ Laura


Article and images copyright © Laura Beth Love 2021

Comments